Thursday, September 6, 2012

Leaving a Legacy

You are what you leave behind.  As educators, we leave a constant stream of influences, which pulses out of our classrooms and affects much more than we will ever see.  However, it is in looking at our purpose, that we focus fully on what we are offering the world.  Like Randy Pausch delivering his last lecture "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" to a packed audience at Carnegie Mellon, or Mitch Albom returning to the company of his college professor for wisdom on the meaning of life, there is something within every educator compelling us to not only share, but also make this world a better place today than it was when we arrived.

We sit at an incredible threshold of educational philosophy.  No other time has been as interesting, or tumultuous, in our profession.  It is my hope in this blog to look at leadership in this time of change.  As I look into myself, molded by professors and mentors, I am driven to fulfill a larger purpose.  As a librarian, I affected many students - fostered a love of reading and learning in all I touched.  As a leader, I hope to affect those who teach, and create rivers, not streams of influence, that help reshape an educational system in need of change.

As I explore what it means to be a leader in this fantastic time for education, I will share my influences with you.  Please join me as I learn to lead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bekci - I remember when Randy Pausch delivered that last lecture and listening to it and following his journey of life. Very powerful for sure! Rivers of influence is a great analogy. Great to be along on the same journey.

    ReplyDelete